Friday 19 October 2012

OPI Euro Centrale Collection

Exciting news from OPI! OPI updated their Facebook page on Thursday with some details of their traditionally destination themed Spring collection. The Spring 2013 collection is Euro Centrale which is inspired by four European Countries: Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Romania.

OPI Euro Centrale Collection
Picture from OPI's Facebook page
Colours from top to bottom, left to right are: Suzi's Hungary AGAIN!(coral pink), OY-Another Polish Joke!(gold shimmer), Vant to Bite My Neck? (dark grapey purple), A Woman's Prague-ative (copper shimmer), I Saw...You Saw...We Saw...Warsaw (deep teal), My Paprika Is Hotter Than Yours!(hot spicy red), Can't Find My Czechbook (bright turquoise), Polka.com (blue & violet glitter), Hands Off My Kielbasa (bronzey rose-toned tan), OPI...Eurso Euro (bright Yves Kleinesq blue), My Vampire is Buff (light buff nude), You're Such A BudaPest (periwinkle lilac).

They've now followed up with a bottle picture via their Twitter (@OPINAILS)

OPI Euro Centrale Collection
Picture via OPI's Twitter account
I'm loving this collection, standouts from these pics look like Polka.com, OPI...Eurso Euro and You're such a BudaPest which I'm hoping is OPI Done out in Deco's bluer little sister. As with Holland I think this is a great Spring collection with a twist. No real standard reds and pinks, I guess Vant to, Paprika, Kielbasa and Vampire are the more "normal" shades but they are all fun, slightly different shades. Quick note on Kielbasa, I know the bottle says top coat but some online trawling seems to show it's definitely not. If anything OY-Another is the sheerest of the bunch that looks the most appropriate for layering.

I like the fact that some of the less high profile European countries are getting a shout out here but I think it's a bit of a shame they aren't getting to shine in their own featured collection. OPI has many, many years of collections to fill though so I guess they might still get their chance.

Some of them do worse than others in terms of their moment in the spotlight so let's have a look at the breakdown. The polishes divide roughly up by country as follows -

Czech Republic:
Can’t Find My Czechbook
A Woman’s Prague-ative 

They only get two but references to Prague and Czech make sense and the colours are good. However they've already used the Prague joke in "It's my Prague-ative" from the OPI European collection. New puns please OPI!

Hungary:
My Paprika is Hotter than Yours!
You’re Such a BudaPest
Suzi’s Hungary AGAIN!
 
I'm giving Paprika to Hungary because it's arguably most commonly associated with that country. Love the colours and all three of these might sneak their way into my collection for that reason and the fact that my family has roots in Hungary in the distant, distant past.

Poland:
I Saw…U Saw…We Saw…Warsaw
Hands Off My Kielbasa!
OY-Another Polish Joke!

I don't love the shades as much as Hungary's but they get three and it's the same capital city, country and food stuff trio of puns so I think Poland can be happy.

Romania:
My Vampire is Buff
Vant to Bite my Neck

Hmm, if I was Romanian I'd be annoyed here. They get two of the more "normal" polishes both vampire themed. Given that there's a blue (Eurso) and a gold (OY-another) I would have loved it if they'd included another red or used Paprika to make a cheeky reference to the Romanian flag. They could easily have done a place name pun (Cravin' Craiova anyone?) so not really sure why they didn't.

Interestingly there are two non-country specific polishes - Polka.com and OPI…Eurso Euro. Polka is a Central European dance and music style so it fits well with the collection and if they had given a couple more polishes these kinds of names I think it might have worked a smidge better. I'm going to give OPI the benefit of the doubt on this one and assume the "Euro" in Eurso Euro refers to something of European style given that precisely none of the countries have the Euro as their currency(It's the Koruna, Forint, Zloty and Leu respectively fact fans!). Both of these polishes are beautiful so I'm sure the Czech Republic and Romania would have been glad to have them to make up a round three for all four countries.

Overall I'm looking forward to this, great mix of colours and some variety in finishes so it should be a good one. I'll definitely be getting some of these but we won't be able to get our mitts on this collection until February so it's a bit of a wait!

1 comment:

  1. I am Romanian and I am annoyed.
    Romania is known because of the... vampires?! and that is pretty sad.
    Vant to Bite My Neck seems like Honk if you like OPI.
    The other one, My Vampire is Buff, is an ugly shade.
    But this is only my personal opinion.

    ReplyDelete